PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 16th Jul 2017, 08:33
Propellerhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with using all available resources when flying a visual, and it would be appropriate to tune the ils if you're planning on flying a 3 degree approach on the centreline. It may not always be appropriate as an offset approach combined with PBN vertical profile could trigger a spurious and distracting glideslope warning. Also on a Boeing it can be distracting having both Lnav/vnav pointers and ils ghost pointers on the same deviation display.

Having just checked the plates the quiet visual is not a PBN approach so is visual and no GPS required. The approach is designed for both 28L and R but has a box with "vertical guidance navaid and angle : IGWQ LOC (GS 3 degrees)". This is the 28R ILS so they should have had it tuned in this case. However if you were landing on the left you would have the incorrect ILS tuned - another hole in the cheese in SFO?

I don't agree with banning visual approaches at night. Sometimes you have no choice for a start! I don't believe in the mantra that if someone gets a manoeuvre wrong then we should ban everyone else from doing them. That's partly what's led to our current de-skilling and contributed to the Asiana crash where they were incapable of flying a visual approach. Think far better to train crews how to effectively brief and fly night visuals so they are aware and brief the traps and how they are going to fly it successfully. As professional pilots it's a skill we need to have.

Last edited by Propellerhead; 16th Jul 2017 at 09:10.