PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 16th Jul 2017, 01:12
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by underfire
Airbubba, that particular procedure is with waypoints and is AR. The ac would have had to be GPS to get the AR approval to use the procedure
Are you sure? The FMS Bridge Visual to 28R is an Authorization Required (AR) approach procedure but not, as far as I can see, an AR RNP (Required Navigation Performance) instrument approach.

I believe the FMS Bridge Visual is sometimes described as an RNAV/Visual hybrid approach. You certainly don't always need GPS for RNAV without RNP in my experience.

In fact, in some places with some aircraft you can do an RNP 0.3 approach without GPS using DME/DME when authorized.

From the Jepps:

Some aircraft have RNP approval in their AFM without a GPS sensor. The lowest level of sensors that the FAA will support for RNP service is DME/DME. However, necessary DME NAVAID ground infrastructure may or may not be available at the airport of intended operations. For those locations having an RNAV chart published with LNAV/VNAV minimums, a procedure note may be provided such as “DME/DME RNP-0.3 NA”; this means that RNP aircraft dependent on DME/DME to achieve RNP-0.3 are not authorized to conduct this approach.

Where FAA flight inspection successfully determines the availability and geometry of DME facilities will support RNP-0.3 and that the DME signal meets inspection tolerances, a note such as "DME/DME RNP-0.3 Authorized” will appear on the chart. And where DME facility availability is a factor, the note may read “DME/DME RNP-0.3 Authorized; ABC and XYZ Required”; meaning that ABC and XYZ facilities have been determined by flight inspection to be required in the navigation solution to assure RNP-0.3.
http://www.jeppesen.com/download/bri...en00-arnav.pdf