PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So, I want to fly a jet
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2017, 23:01
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Quick disclaimer - I'm not a jet pilot. I know many, and I have often been a qualified observer on flight tests of jet aircraft - just don't fly them as a pilot. I do have a commercial licence and IR(R), as these do what I personally need.

Firstly, cutting corners financially may not be a good idea. Flying jet aircraft requires a high level of both technical knowledge and flying ability. Your starting point, which you may as well do in a moderately high performance light aeroplane is to get good - as good as you can be. So start by working with your PPL instructor to ensure that you get the best possible instruction and have really good basic skills, not just "good enough". Mediocre flying skills from the off will persist.

Post PPL, I would suggest converting to something like a Turbo Arrow, and put yourself through a programme of getting yourself to a much higher standard of flying than you needed to pass your PPL. If you're in the UK do the IR(R) en-route as it's a great way of tightening your flying up. Maybe find a good mentor - not to fly with you, but to work with you to ensure your experience as you hour build is tailored to making you as good as possible. Not the default 150 hours of flying around in circles that too many people do.

En route of course ATPL groundschool and exams. It's a level of knowledge you'll need and it's easier to just do the standard package than re-invent the wheel.

If you can, upgrade to the most complex high performance single available to you. It'll be valuable experience that done well early. If you are really on top of the FULL capability of that, consider going multi-engine early - again, the most complex high performance aeroplane resources permit.

When you are at a stage where you have a couple of hundred hours, are at a high skill level as a PPL, rattle through the MEIR.

If this will be purely private pilot, carry on. If you want to go professionally, pause to do a CPL course.

Go do an MCC, as this will aid you. Then think about your jet type rating, having prepared yourself well to do this.

This is an EASA plan. If you want to do it in the USA - which may make good sense if you have more time than money, swap IR(R) for the FA IR, otherwise I'd say basically the same.

Pick training establishments where the instructors have a lot of real world flying experience. Make sure they know your plans and can work with you to achieve them. Above all else, get as good as you can be, as early as you can be - good habits developed early will pay dividends, bad habits developed early may be hard to shift and get in your way indefinitely.

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 16th Jul 2017 at 11:23.