PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abingdon airshow incident
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2017, 20:41
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Step Turn
What is very poorly trained - high velocity curves?

The height/velocity curve for every helicopter is define in the flight manual, and trained as a part of type training for that type of helicopter. Can anyone show a defined height/velocity curve for an airplane? Can anyone show training which done per airplane type to demonstrate the combination of height and airspeed from which a glide will not be successful to the surface? I can, I do this training with pilots I train. They will not get an insurance signoff from me until I believe that they have this awareness.

Obvioulsy, there are times when airplanes, like helicopters will operate within this curve, and a power off landing not be possible. It is obviously wise to minimize this exposure. Doing this requires an awareness of the factors, and understanding of the limitations of that type (the dimensions of the curve). Is that formally trained as a part of type training in airplanes?
Excellent post.

Despite our correspondence over the last year plus I never was aware you flew rotary Step Turn. Me too for the last 28 years. We are of course talking about what we in the UK call the avoid curve.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heli...locity_diagram

Of course in my fixed wing training 37 years ago we were just taught to pick a field or area straight ahead as we climbed out to 500 ft in a C152 or PA38.

I am not sure how much risk assessment goes in flying these days.

Perhaps reliability of modern engines has removed the thought that the power plant could stop