PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2017, 02:58
Vessbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLEXJET
I am a bizjet guy, EASA/FAA. While in cruise, I usually see a GS range of 380/620KT.

In the case of AF447, while stalling for 3 minutes, would you agree that their GS was much below that range?
Would you agree that a quick look at the OFP will give the expected and accurate GS to be compared with?

The crew checked engine parameters but I never read in the report that GS was mentioned or discussed.
I am just wondering if checking / discussing / comparing GS could have reversed this tragic fate, i.e. could have made someone finally push the stick (again, Airbus design, sorry to insist...).
Considering their heading wandered more than 180 degrees off planned, I say that no, a quick look at their flight plan would not give a GS useful for comparison.

I maintain that the FPD is for immediate, basic aircraft control type information. Am I gonna stay right side up, hit the ground, or go off course?
Anything beyond that is clutter. GS is generally for navigation problems. Should the unique occasion arise that would make it useful for more immediate aircraft control due to an unusual circumstance, I think that if a pilot has the mental space to make meaningful use of that information, he has the mental space to look one screen over.