PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 14th Jul 2017, 15:33
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before the go around was issued, the pilot had already overflown a quarter mile of runway.

Whether the GA was pilot induced or ATC induced is a debate. The above statement/report causes me a question. (Thanks to those who posted the diagrams. Early in the post there were people talking about 28L, 28C & 28R, I thought. My mistake, as we now see C is to the outside of 28R and not between.)
The threshold 28R and the beginning of taxi C are side by side; or is there a heavily displaced rwy threshold. I've asked what was the PF using for glide path guidance. If it was the ILS 28R then the LLZ deviation should have alerted PF & PM: if it was the PAPI then they are on the left edge of 28R. If AC overflew the taxiway for 400m BEFORE the GA, and at a low height, and if they were on the correct glide path to land the correct distance in, it suggests they flew level for 3-400m. That in itself is an odd manoeuvre. I've missed something earlier. how far down the taxiway were the holding a/c? Were they taking full length or an intersection? If the AC initiated the GA at 100', but after 400m down the taxiway, where was the touchdown aiming point? And at that point the holding a/c must have been very visible.
What happens in USA after an incident like this? Is there an immediate debrief of the crew on site by an FAA or airport official? I'm assuming they night-stopped; is that correct?