PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No need to be an ATO or RTF !
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2017, 10:20
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skydiver666,

The complications of the move from RTF to ATO and maybe now DTO are such that I believe they are strangling leisure and recreation flying.

I think it is an interesting concept that it appears from the CAA letter that a central organisation like the LAA, for example, could set themselves up as a ATO and then save flying schools time and cash getting their own ATO registrations.

To put it frankly, I have looked at a few options for SEP training here at Strathaven and the paperwork for a small operation is too much hassle. But if I - rather than the LAA, or whoever - could spend this winter doing it all and then "spread the love" with other small operators, then it could be worthwhile.

I don't believe in "insignificant" operations. I believe "many a mickle maks a muckle".

ps. Thanks for the epithet "amateur" - I always see it as prefixed by the word "gifted"!

pps. Your only posts seem to be in response to a few of my 700-odd pprune posts. One was would I like my finances online? Well, they now are! The airfield's accounts are here: Accounts: 2015-2016 and you can see that my family gets £36,000 a year rent and there are no staff costs - ie I am an unpaid worker here and so, you are correct, I am an "amateur" ! The Sportflight Scotland Ltd flying school's accounts are not public in detail, since that would reveal the flying instructor's earnings, but that overall total profits/losses are available with a google search.

We seem so opposite on so much that I am sure we could have a great evening over a few pints putting the world to rights!