PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Air Traffic Control
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2017, 01:51
willadvise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GA Driver
And there in lies the problem, its too late by then. You're notifying us of a delay via the enroute controller as we get the star. This is usually 100nm(ish) prior to descent and past the halfway point if I wanted to do a U turn. We need to know about this earlier
Ignore the hazardalert or notam question if it really is that hard, but surely this could be passed down the line, 'expect 20min traffic delay!'
I completely understand what you are suggesting and respect your statements about runway changes, go-arounds (I was one of them) stuff ups etc. But its equally as dynamic for us with the changes, we just sit behind a different console however the consequences and decision making is a bit differnt.

And here is the $64,000.... WHAT is a long term delay? I have had plenty of flow controllers opinions but never found anything that constitutes LONG TERM.
We have to find the fuel to cover this question.

Im not trying to finger point at anyone, but the earlier this stuff gets to us the better. A go around is going to effect all those aircraft behind, so why can't this information be passed down? Ive had it from the dep/app controller as it happens but thats usually it.
I guess my point is, and I should have made it clearer, is that often the controller at the half way point, where you would want to divert, doesn't know what your delay is going to be. Often at this point your delay may only be 5-10 mins and the delay blows out closer to destination. I suggest you have a good read of this thread as it has a lot of good info about how delays occur and why you don't get notification earlier.