PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DUBLIN - 2
Thread: DUBLIN - 2
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2017, 22:46
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However, EI-BUD, the UK market, Dublin's largest market, is struggling massively.
May +1%, Apr +5%, Mar flat, Feb no comparative available, Jan +8%.
Data from CAA Stats, and the May figure from DAA news item. The stats are good YTD, we may have a challenge for visitors due to currency, but overall the numbers are up. I wouldn't be overly concerned for the UK market, we have huge VFR and huge business traffic over and back. From an airports perspective, a weak currency makes the UK attractive for people flying over, and besides in Dublin there is a huge challenge with bed space, so larger outbound is the opportunity for the airport.

There is a growing and huge connecting traffic and that is only going one way at this time.

And should Brexit be anywhere near as awful as predictions are being made out to be, traffic will continue to fall from the UK side. It's possible that EU/US growth will continue, however I suspect overall figures aren't far from temporary stagnation.
Capacity is consistently being added ex Dublin to/from the US, many factors will continue to stimulate this, the sheer volume of foreign direct investment, the HQs of many multinationals in Dublin, driving strong business traffic, increased connectivity via Dublin to/from the USA and vice versa, the market also to Ireland from the USA is huge, and as new capacity opens up so too do the tourist numbers, especially for all those who have relations or heritage in Ireland.

An example is Air Canada coming onto Dublin instead of Air Canada Rouge, says a lot about the attractiveness of the market. So I don't see a temporary stagnation coming soon...

There is so much talk about Brexit and nobody is fully sure about what will happen, though it is expected to be challenging, in tourism already Tourism Ireland will refocus on driving more tourism from other markets as they recognise that demands from various markets will change.