PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow ATC to ban zone transits in July and August
Old 13th Jul 2017, 21:22
Skydiver666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gasax
I recall from the last extension of controlled airspace around the central zone that Glasgow had the largest and statistically emptiest Class D airspace in the UK. And yet they are not prepare to provide sufficient resources to staff it?

There really needs to be some level of sanction to ensure this wonderfully British incompetence is suitably punished.
As far as I’m aware, the class D boundary around Glasgow was extended after either a microlight or glider nearly bumped into an inbound B757, the aforementioned “bogey” wasn’t communicating with ATC at all. I understand when challenged he declared its class E therefore no requirement. With poor airmanship like that it’s no wonder the boundary is expanded to keep them out.

With regards to ATC manpower to facilitate the “large” airspace, I think you’ll find the remit of NATS Glasgow is to facilitate traffic in and out of EGPF, any work for GA is a courtesy, let’s not jeopardise that kindness by slating them on public forums! Show a bit of common sense please!