PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 13th Jul 2017, 21:17
ZOOKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There seems to be some confusion regarding the serviceability or otherwise, of the approach lighting systems for 28R and 28L at the time this event occurred.
In The U.K., any failure, or irregular functioning of approach-aids, constitutes 'Essential Aerodrome Information', and 'shall' be passed to aircraft, by Aerodrome Control' The use of 'shall', means a mandatory instruction.
Notwithstanding the possible promulgation by NOTAM, the information is usually re-inforced by transmission to each individual a/c, or by inclusion on the arrival ATIS. Was this done, I wonder?

O.K, I know that USA and U.K. ATC systems operate differently, but, someone is bound to say that 'lessons will be learned'.

Earlier on in the discussion, someone mentioned the responsibility of the TWR controller, regarding 'looking out of the window'. When I started my ADC training, it was drummed into us that it was essential. It's where the action is.
Having said that, I've never been to KSFO, but looking at the charts, the angle of view and distance, to the 28 thresholds, might make detection of an errant approach to either R/W, or it's parallel taxiway, difficult to detect without the use of in-VCR technology.