PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 13th Jul 2017, 18:02
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About angled approach to KSFO 28R - I'm making no claim about current approach designs at all (and also, not claiming that D-R-UK is wrong). The noise abatement factor had been raised by other poster(s) in context of visual approach at night under certain conditions. If that association does not exist in fact, then nothing about differing points of view regarding different approach designs or their components should have elicited any comments about noise abatement (including mine).
As to whether noise abatement as such is relevant, I disagree, neila83. I can make no claim about this incident's causes, but I'll take your word for it (unless and until some future analysis of the airspace architecture reveals that concern for noise abatement compliance yielded a suboptimal approach design). But the lack of an incident where abatement was a contributing factor is just a nice historical fact. As airspace gets more and more heavily utilized, and as complications of CRM, automation of the flight deck, fatigue, and other factors threaten to drill into the Swiss cheese with greater and greater impact, I don't agree that past compromises necessarily are a template for contemporary and near-future decisions. After all, isn't the reasonableness of the compromises being saluted undermined to some extent (not completely) by the simple fact that very nearly everyone who complains about airport noise knew the airport was there before they moved close to it?