PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2017, 17:23
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UA

Sad news indeed, a big nail in the coffin for long haul at BHX. I think EWR has been on borrowed time for a while and I can't foresee another scheduled transatlantic service for a long time. It's quite depressing, (but in the current climate not surprising) to think that in summer 2018 we will have just two weekly flights across the pond. With Norwegian also gone and rumours that Vueling could be, it's not looking as rosy for 2018 as it did last year for airlines at BHX. Personally I have my doubts about Icelandair, as they rely quite heavily on US connecting traffic. Perhaps the withdrawal of UA might boost their loads a bit? Qatar could also be another casualty due to the ever worsening political situation with its neighbours.

I think BHX needs to focus on its core markets and carriers, get on with much needed infrastructure upgrades to allow them to expand and leave the serious long haul to MAN. I think the best we can hope for long haul wise is a slow expansion of seasonal charter routes - I could see Cuba and perhaps Las Vegas as possibilities. Let's hope Goa and Phuket are a success this winter.