PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR nostalgia
Thread: LHR nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2017, 16:07
Mr Oleo Strut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't remember that. Britannias landing in any sort of a cross wind would bounce a lot, and Caravelles would sometimes have to use their tail parachutes. The crackle, smoke and flames from the Super Connie was always watchable, as was the same from the Carvair - Aer Longus, I think - on the north side. Saw a Strstocruiser once. As regards rarer types, I recall the Russians, particularly TU104s and others, hastily converted bombers with glass noses political commissars, huge stewardesses, dark and dreary Victorian-style cabins, and heavy-duty vodka on tap.Also a regular very smart DC3 from the West Country, and the occasional C46 Curtiss Commander. Can't remember whose. Executive jets hadn't appeared, but Fields ran a poshed-up twin or two I think, Ambassadors?, for Shell out of the old Hunting hangar at Hatton Cross I'm sure. There was also a chopper service to Gatwick but I don't think it lasted very long. How we all managed without decent rail access I really don't know. Noise, smoke and smells there were in volume. A lightly-loaded Comet 4 on full power must have woken the dead over Colnbrook, in fact I remember a BOAC ground engineer doing ground-power checks lit up all four on a Comet at the same time in error, and it was lucky the beast was chained down. Didn't do his career prospects much good. I always thought the BEA Vanguards were stately vessels, but they had a reputation for vibration, apparently. The lack of just about all on-board passenger frills was standard at that time and, of course, many people smoked in all its forms. I remember the pleasure and shock of hearing stereo piped-music in a seat on a Pan-Am 707 for the first time, while indulging in my first American club sandwich. Very nice! Aborted landings in poor weather were a bit of a shock as we didn't know about them until we heard the thunder in the gloom sbove us. I recall that the BEA Tridents were the first to do blind-landings. Favourite aircraft? Concorde of course, but that was later on.