PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 13th Jul 2017, 14:00
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sea Eggs
Finally a balanced viewpoint instead of sensational nonsense...

CTV News Channel: 'Situation was unusual' | CTV News
'An unusual set of circumstances that created something that's probably going to turn out to be a non-event'.

Yep, I'm sure the FAA and the NTSB will agree.

Captain Mackey does do a good job of explaining the runway setup and construction at SFO. As DaveReidUK said, this was an early assessment and more information on the incident has emerged.

Originally Posted by WHBM
I also wonder why they were given this curved visual nighttime approach at a time of low traffic to a runway fully equipped with all the aids. I'll bet when they came back round again that was not done.

And you have to wonder how the Flight Radar 24 traces shown above, which is something put together by a bunch of enthusiast amateurs, can show quite clearly, based on real time information, that they were lined up on the taxiway, and not like the later parallel trace shows for the runway, yet with all the millions of dollars of kit the ATC staff in the tower didn't get to be aware of this.
From the 0700Z approach control reel at liveatc.net, on the second approach AC 759 was vectored for a visual approach behind an AA B-777. Other planes were still using the FMS Bridge Visual though.

I don't believe any of the posted plots of AC 759 overflying the taxiway, including mine, came from FlightRadar24. The data in close to the runway on FR24 didn't look too good to me but you can definitely see who the players are as the incident evolves.

Originally Posted by ironbutt57
update....if the Quiet Bridge is selected from the FMGS database and activated, the localizer is not tuned, and no ILS data will be displayed...
That's what I've been told by a friend who flew A320's years ago. Can anyone with recent experience on legacy A320's confirm this?

Did the AC A320 have GPS for the Nav Display? On some older planes as we've discussed on other threads, ADS-B, TCAS and EGWPS may have GPS data but the ND might not display it depending on the installation. I've flown older '75's that were like this for a while before a subsequent update.