PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Imperial Airways research.
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2017, 12:09
GarBalls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Joe:

FYI - have a huge amount of Imperial Airways source material relating to Capt Jack Sydney SHEPPARD (1900 - 1982) who was my father in law, and was one of the Senior Captains on the Cairo to Cape Route during the 1930's and early 40's, initially based in Cairo.

Jack is also a remarkable example of "SELF HELP" in the Edwardian era, who leaving school at 12 became a motor mechanic, WW1 fighter pilot, 'RAF Flying Officer', founder of QANTAS, and - of especial interest to you Joe an Imperial Airways Senior Captain flying Empire Flying Boats.

The basic details for Jack are in Graces Aviation Guide. Aftet a career in the RAF and as a founding pilot of QANTAS, he joined Imperial Airways in 1930. He flew H series e.g. 'Hanno', Hercules and from 1937 C series Empire Flying Boats. There were 42 of the latter in service and Jack flew at least 8.

I have photos and amateur film footage (including early colour).

Another member of the family had all his logbook. I have most of his final 'gear" (uniform / pilots flying kit / manuals).

Jack retired in the mid 1940's and became a horse trainer and farmer in Kildare in Ireland. He remained friendly with many Imperial Airways Pilots (such as Kingsford-Smith), continued to fly small aircraft in Ireland. He finally retired to South Africa in 1970, living for another 12 years.

IF THIS OF INTEREST call me or text me on 00 353 87 24 24 570

Best regards,

GARRETT JOHN HICKEY
(Son in law of Capt Jack Sydney SHEPPARD)