PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colin Hales crashes in Japan
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2017, 11:23
Martin_123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Rutherford
Can I suggest that creating a Crowdfunding page for an expense that will be covered by an insurance policy is not exactly 'kosher'.

My understanding, and that of many others, is that he's asking the money because he doesn't have any insurance. Perhaps this can be clarified?
so far no word whether he did or did not have an insurance, or if he did - will it cover everything completely or not. Like I tried to explain in my post above, it's not that straight forward even if you are insured, it's a very messy and bureaucratic process and you might not see the money for months even if you are insured..

what we do know, from the official fundraising page is this:

He faces a very large medical bill, and at first was refusing treatment as he doesn't have the money. His friends and family have made sure surgery will go ahead in Japan. There is no price for a life.
The bill will likely be around $30,000, so I am hoping that between us we can raise a little something to help his family with this expense.

This type of stuff is common outside EU - if the hospital doesn't see the money upfront, they will do the bare minimum to keep you alive, but you can pretty much be discharged on the spot if you cant pay for your surgery ..