PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student Accessories
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2017, 10:38
noflynomore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, lets try to expand on the whys and wherefores.
You'll see how noisy it is when you do that trial flight. Rather like being in an old sports car. Even so communication with ATC is seldom if ever a problem due to ambient noise, at least, I've never heard people having problems unless the school headsets are really lousy. If its hard to hear just turn up the volume. RT will be hard to understand at first until you learn the jargon - it isn't hard - and a headset won't help you do that!
There is a bizarre modern trend where complete beginners seem to feel the need for absolutely top end equipment, I think its a function of too much money, modern insecurity, image and willy-waving. It certainly doesn't make your learning tennis any easier or make you a better player because you start with a $5000 racket, does it? For a start how would you know whether it suits you with no experience, and the pearls/swine analogy comes to mind (with no intention of being rude) Top end kit is pretty pointless (some might say wasted) on a newbie. "All the gear, no idea"
Concentrate on learning to fly, the accessories will come later, at the start they are all provided.
David Clarke. Yes, I dislike them, others swear by them. They are bulky, heavy and clamp your head like a vise and their noise attenuation is not the best. In my experience they also tend to fall apart. Peltor is light, tough, sits easily on the head and has excellent noise attenuation - there are many other makes out there too of course, you'll come across these in time and if - if - you want to spend out on your own headset decide with the advantage of a bit of experience. Buying second hand - big savings but the usual second-hand risks. Cable connections both inside the headset and more commonly at the plug/s are delicate but easily fixed if you can solder. If you ebay one make sure there is a promise it is in 100% working order. A good light but tight fit around the ear is essential, gaps around the earpad let in noise. See how quiet the world gets when you put one on, there shoulf be a fairly strong feeling of isolation from backgraound noise. Some do it better than others so you do need to know what you are buying.
New earpads and a mic-sock take care of any hygiene concerns and are usually prety cheap, and some people use earpiece covers and mic socks on school headsets too.
Me, I'd waith until I had a job and knew what I was going to use 10hrs a day before deciding if I wanted to buy an expensive one. You also don't know what plugs your future employer has fitted, or even if that Bose is compatable. Many GA headsets are not compatable with commercial avionics, and most are simply unsuitable.

Concentrate on learning to fly and don't worry about the gadgets for now. Best of luck.