PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 13th Jul 2017, 09:44
ACMS

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Long Haul:---thanks for the lesson mate. My A330 and 777 before that do indeed automatically tune the ILS but if they don't I do know how to myself and indeed do on occasion. We certainly check the whole NAV RAD during the approach briefing and setup before TOD and adjust as required.

As to HIAL being too bright and therefore distracting on a clear night......ok well ask ATC to turn them down a stage..........certainly it should have been on and it is a fantastic aid to find the runway in all weather down to CAT 2 ....Much better than a black hole to land on like I had in Jakarta 07L last month.....

RTZL on or off? Way better if they are on ( at an appropriate level )

It's not hard for the PM ( and the PF higher up ) to scan the PFD on approach at 1,000' and 500' etc to monitor the LLZ/GS as well as the IAS/VS and then make appropriate trend callouts. ( as they already are required to do on all approaches anyway in my Airline )

Indeed it should be taught that if the info is displayed for your runway then check it.......for this very reason
Especially in places like SFO with close parallel runways and taxiways.

Flocks:---good practice that will serve you well.

Last edited by ACMS; 13th Jul 2017 at 10:00.