PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job in USA as a European?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2017, 22:10
Transsonic2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wife has a job offer in Florida and would really like to go there as she has family living there. So through her I would also get a Greencard allegedly. I'm 35 and work for a British carrier and have 5000hrs on the B737 and about 6000hrs on the B777 (both as First Officer).
@ Marchisio:
I understand (to some degree) that your wife likes to go to Florida (why don't let her go and see how things develop, while you stay here). Given the fact that you don't have a degree you'll probably never make it to a legacy carrier, where the big money is and flying for a US Regional till the end of days isn't that thrilling either (compared to what you could make at a legacy carrier). That's like going down a dead-end road, particularly as a non US Citizen without a degree. I believe, at your age (35) and with your experience (B737 and B777 rated, tt 11.500hr) you stand much better career chances here in Europe as you'd do in the States! In five or ten years from now you'll probably be decorated with the fourth stripe on your shoulder and I strongly believe your wife will like it as well, at the latest when she sees the monthly pay check coming in - that'll make her smile (apologies for my sarcasm )!!! Well anyway, long story short. As a EU citizen (Pilot) with your experience you stand much better career chances in the EU as compared to the US. Finally, the determining factor/person should be the person who brings home the bigger paycheck and who has the higher occupational qualifications and that's usually the man. Sorry if I sound a little harsh, but I've seen it happen more than once where a person gave up a life-dream (usually flying) in favor for a other person (relationship/marriage) and they all, sooner or later had bitter regrets and said that was one of their biggest lifetime mistakes, as the relationship didn't last anyway! But that's only my personal point of view based on my own experience! I strongly believe you'll make the right decision and best of luck for the future!

Last edited by Transsonic2000; 12th Jul 2017 at 22:47.