PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 12th Jul 2017, 19:21
.Scott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluSdUp
Visual at night is not a good idea without a ILS or VNAV- PATH as primary and visual as backup.
This near disaster proves it.
I can't agree with this.

Ages ago, I was on a visual night approach to IAD from the southeast, runway 1C I think. When I didn't report the runway in sight, the control tower asked for that information. It wasn't that I didn't know where the runway was, but I did not have a direct view of the runway lights - so I responded "No". Shortly after that, they asked the question again. I was less than 3 miles from the runway threshold, but still didn't have the view I needed - so I said "No".

They're response surprised me. They turned on the approach lights. It looked like a huge bright ball heading straight for the runway - repeating its path every second or two. I can't image what the electric bill for that was. It certainly left no doubt about where the runway was. Anyway, I reported "Yes", thanked them, and landed as instructed.

There are certainly many more challenges in landing a large jet compared to my little Cessna 172. Then again, won't they always give an ATC flight a straight in approach?

At SFO, 28R has: ALSF2: standard 2,400 foot high intensity approach lighting system with centerline sequenced flashers (category II or III)