PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 3rd Sep 2003, 17:13
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the other hand...

The day I got my PPL(H) I realised that I couldn't afford to fly helicopters very often for ever. But I probably could for a couple of years or so. I thought that I could either fly them and have fun but nothing to show for it, or fly them AND do all the exams and courses and so on, and maybe, just maybe, get paid to fly at the end of it. So I decided to try for a CPL(H) and FI rating.

It wasn't quite that straightforward. The hourbuilding was lots of fun. The CPL(H) ground exams were hell. The CPL flying was fine. The FI course was hell - but taught me more about flying than I'd ever learned before, and I'll always be glad I did it. Work? Well, a little, and it's early days as yet. But it's lucky I don't have to live off it!! OTOH, I refuse to relocate, emigrate, or any of the things that might well get me a flying job if I was desperate. For me, I think I made the right decision. But that's me, not anyone else.

I too always kept a foot in either camp, and occasionally fly f/w to go to fly-ins or on holiday or just bore holes in the sky cheaply. It's fun, and affordable, but I'll always prefer helicopters. Personally I think being an airline pilot would be boring. But everyone's different.

So like I said, you do have choices, but go into it with your eyes open..and there are no guarantees, good or bad.