PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 12th Jul 2017, 01:21
cordwainer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Airbubba
Yep, I'm sure a lot happened in the pre-cellphone video era that was never reported. Or, so they tell me.

Unfortunately, or fortunately perhaps, these Continental guys made the tabloids with a taxiway landing at EWR:

AIRLINE PILOT IN BLUNDER LAND TOUCHES DOWN ON NEWARK TAXIWAY | New York Post
Regarding runway lights: the full NTSB narrative for the Continential 1883 incident is available at https://ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviat...07IA015&akey=1

It references some differences in lighting brightness despite what should have been discernably different step levels.

Since the report also notes the investigation assessed REIL, PAPI and color (green/white) visibility, it made me curious as to which specific, comparable elements are equally pertinent to the SFO incident, and are likely to be addressed in the investigation.

Also: the source quoted on the 2006 Continental 1883 incident seemed to feel landing on the taxiway there was a truly inexcusable f-up. Whereas with regard to this SFO incident, professionals here seem to be of mixed opinion, but overall seem to consider it less egregious.

Are the two really even comparable? Just curious.