PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Catching a late sink by manual thrust in an A330.
Old 11th Jul 2017, 17:58
neilki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crew Resource Mismanagement

Originally Posted by hans brinker
Two seconds of google:
malaysia airlines a330 hard landing

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications...r/ao-2015-032/

From the report it seems to me more of a issue with side stick control, and !ESS of an issue with thrust. They were way. Below the path and added full nose down at 24' .......
Yikes..
I speed read the report (an amazing job; as always ATSB..) and this has hallmarks of a textbook Cockpit Culture prang.
The PM at MAS can only 'encourage' a Go around??
My mob strongly adheres to the 'call it, honor it' philosophy. Let's not break the jet and we can talk about it later; hell, we're paid by the minute. Flight Ops & FOQA say we're still not doing enough go arounds...
The PM (FO) assumed the PF was going around and sat there silently, then decided he'd help a little with some dual input?
Airbus does stuff directly, and the rule of primacy is a very powerful thing. I understand that sinking close to the ground (especially after a long days work) fires up a very strong instinct to catch the sink with power; but thats why we train. And brief. And go around if it looks ugly. 4 red is ugly.
There but for the grace et al, and I've planted a few in my time but wow...