PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DONCASTER SHEFFIELD
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2017, 16:53
EGPO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Barnstable for your reply. I've had thru work to endure the M60 as well as visiting my nan.
And it's a horrific experience in the heat of summer trying to reach GO Practices where I was installing 'surgery poss devices similar to the selected in but allow the patient to perform health checks (e.g. blood pressure and repeat prescription reviews - to cut down on GP pressure).
Being time constrained not unlike trying to get to the airport.
Indeed some surgeries where right next to it.
I Cant understand why folk would want to put a famiky of whining children - " are we there yet".
When local airports are available.
And your right we have a lower population but I guess if you combined Sligo , Letrim, and Mayo plus some West Midlands counties.
Knock is an ideal candidate for better links.
I read that people sometimes came from Fermanagh on the UK side to Knock because good deals could be had.
Personally I would happily pay that wee bit more for a flight and save time and my sanity than ensure the M60.
One thing I would say about Doncaster I went Into the terminal and was shocked at how austere it is inside.

Given it's trying to attract more pax. I wonder if they need to provide more groundside if that's the right word facilities and even extend the terminal and Apron.

Knock was gradually extended like HUY (although the latter has a small terminal it still seems friendlier to the eye than DSA).

But seriously people need to pay less attention to press releases and politicians with little clue about airports and see the bigger picture about what a railway station there can and will provide in the coming years.
Think of the 5000 odd homes to be built . Many either 4 bedrooms or three story dwellings.
Or small apartments that's a lot of people that you don't want clogging up that new road.
It may end up becoming a thorny issue in ten years when it's proven that it should have been a dual lane road from the start.

But these days future proof g capital projects is not common practice.

I keep a keen eye on other forums and am aware of the huge jump in cargo .
I'd rather see that being loaded. Onto a train at the end of a special siding off the Ralfreight section of the scheme than a few dozen HGV's.

The UK is filling up fast so you guys like us need as many different surface access routes as possible.

Finally also be glad it's not Leeds airport I landed there wondering if it was an aircraft carrier , very windy day two go-arounds on a small aircraft was not a nice experience then trying to thread the hire car through a suburb?.
I actually turned around and ended up Getting lost going toward Harrogate before asking for directions and being frustrated by the seemingly endless time to get to central Leeds to do a job.
And get it done in good time to be back at the airport for the flight back home.
So I think Doncaster looking at a map and seeing the lay of the land is definatley in a strong position.

It just needs a few more airlines ....