PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 225 cleared to fly in UK & Norway
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2017, 14:17
jimf671

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rotor-rooter
It would perhaps be very interesting and enlightening to see the same numbers for the entire Puma/Super Puma family. And then perhaps to equate all these numbers into a reasonable analysis of fleet size and hours flown. Anyone? Or are we all just satisfied with half an answer and a pretty meaningless statistic?

I don't have the figures with me but the pattern for the majority of large types is that across a few decades if you put 1000 helicopters out there working then they will typically have hundreds of accidents and one or two hundred people might die in those accidents. Some more, some less. Generally, the more military stuff they do and the more they operate in poorly regulated territories, the more people die.

What seems pretty clear is that the S-92 and H225 stand out from their parents (S-70/H-60 and AS332), and the rest, in their low rate of mishap and fatality so far. Anything that fails to acknowledge that is regrettable.

We can hope the H175 and AW189 will make a further 'step change in safety'.

I have not looked at any numbers separating Mi-171 from the 8 and 17. That might be pretty interesting.