PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Driving on the Planet Mongo
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2017, 14:17
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JimL said: "However, the majority of unprepared sites are in 'uncontrolled airspace'; for that reason the safe use of 'let down' procedures will be dependent upon the effective use of 'detect and avoid' technology. "

I very much agree that progress is being made (that article was written 7 years ago) but much remains to be done, especially when great guys like JimL (a true expert in many areas of our game) cannot see that WE define uncontrolled and controlled airspace, not God.
The means exist to make great approaches anywhere, down to perhaps 200 or 300 feet, but even our best experts see limitations everywhere, as if we can't create more controlled airspace! Meanwhile, our industry is earning the title of "former industry" as we kill our passengers with aplomb.

Overthawk, I agree that stick is needed, but it is being used and the accidents continue. I am reminded of how fun trench warfare was, and how British Generals decided that if a few artillery raids and mass charges didn't work, then many more would. My point is simple: it has been about 3 decades since we realized the carnage and that enforcement, training and well intentioned passionate appeals have NOT worked. When airplanes faced this challenge, the answer was made clear, and it worked, but we forgot, and so we are stuck.

Simple solution, well within our grasp: Create helicopter specific routes, approaches and departures, equip ALL commercial helos to use them, and then REQUIRE that they be used, rain or shine, cloud or clear.

Hot and Hi is exactly right, we will loose our jobs to machines that have dedicated routes, approaches and departures, and are flown by computers that are smart enough to stop whining about discipline and training and just solve the damn problem. Our passengers will get aboard a pilotless aircraft because we pilots proved too dumb and stubborn to fix our problems!

Last edited by NickLappos; 11th Jul 2017 at 14:27.