PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bride Killed in Helicopter Crash
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2017, 00:00
Jelico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scary video. Reading this thread makes it seem like people think this guy happily flew into IMC and tried to fly to his destination on instruments. Seems more likely he felt he could sneak through some low clag on his way to the drop off, maybe even through what looks like a hole in the weather that you can see as in the video. Scud running, and the hole closed around him. I doubt you will find a commercial pilot anywhere in the world with a few hours under their belt that can honestly say they have never consciously snuck under a but of crappy weather and busted a few minimums in doing so. I don't think this pilot even looked at his AH the whole flight, let alone when he needed it. A textbook IIMC event with a textbook out come. The lesson for me from this tragedy is just how easy it can be going from happily stooging through a bit of murkey weather, to a complete IMC mess. Certainly gave me a fright! As to the discussions around the differences between an "unstabilized" R44 flying on instruments. It doesn't matter what you are in if you are VFR and the weather gets worse - land the bloody thing. I recently spent a few hours on the ground in a paddock, with a fully IFR equipped (SAS, Autopilot etc) A109 grand as the weather dropped below an acceptable level (I am not IFR trained). An embarrassing phone call to the boss, but that was about it. Made some nice friends with the locals, and flew the last 10 mins home a few hours later when the front went through.