PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bride Killed in Helicopter Crash
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2017, 10:41
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PaPaPapamobil
The IMC does not really frighten me as much as the low RPM horn that came on.... unfortunately i was not able to clearly see the rotor - and engine RPM indicator.
Did he experience an engine failure?
The AH had toppled before the horn went off.

I don't know what ultimately 'got' the pilot though it is educational to watch just how quickly the Artificial Horizon indicator (AH) went from showing roughly straight and level to what I'd say were toppled - About two seconds. It would take longer then two seconds to look at the GPS to work out where yer going.

For the non-IFR pilot next time yer near an aircraft with some IF dials in it have a seat. Look at the AH. Start counting, one thousand and one... look over to the GPS. See what yer want to see. Look back at the AH, ...one thound and two. The AH has toppled 90˚.... what yer going to do? Your VFR fixed wing instructor has given you Five hours on the dials perhaps, if yer lucky - slight negative G barrel roll perhaps and fly out of it... What yer going to do in a Robinson helicopter where negative G gives yer a tail docking.....

One thing that caught me initially, i unthinkingly took the camera view to be the level world. For the first couple of views i were scratching me head as to how the pilot got thrown sideways. After then noting the AH it dawned on me that the pilot likely wern't thrown 'sideways' as such. The helicopter, and camera, were just tumbling. So a reminder for me when on the instruments (fixed wing) to not trust the visual world, just watch the dials.