PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oz Jobs 29.08.03
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2003, 11:00
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheep Guts
You can lower minimums if you increase your premiums and shop around. Even get down time insurance which alot companies dont get either.
We used an insurance broker to find the best insurance for us. So yes we did get the lowest rate possible.
Well 404 I hope because that the company you say pays lower Premiums, that it pays its Pilots decently? Somehow I bet not.
The company I worked for paid above the award. They paid for our uniforms and subsidized our mobile phones. They also paid more than what the award states for overnight allowances.
So are you saying after this one accident this company had 8 YEARS AGO, dictates its insurance rates. I would shop around for a bit longer and get some other quotes. If thats the case then alot more companies would be under pressure. Because theres been alot of those accidents in the last 8 years.
I don’t think there high hour requirement was because of insurance. They did it to improve their reputation and to win back clients. The event had considerable press coverage and they lost a lot of work out of it at the time.
But I must admit I still cant understand why the requirements there are so high?
As I said the main reason for our high hour requirement was more to do with client’s requirements. In particular, the QLD government. If the NT government has lower hour requirements good on them but they aren’t the QLD government. All four of the big companies in Cairns at the time that won the QLD government tender had to increase their hour requirement to 2500 hrs total, 750 hrs multi command, 100 hrs on type, 100 hrs of actual IF, 100 hrs command NGT and 3 IF renewals. As a point to note our requirement prior to this were 1500 hrs total, 500 hrs multi command, 50 hrs actual IF, 50 hrs command at night, 3 IF renewals and at least an endorsement on one of our type. We were also audited ever six months I think by the QLD government to make sure we were complying.

So that is the reason for the very high hour requirements in Cairns. Not because the companies are dreaming but because that is what the market (i.e. who pays your wages), wants.