PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bride Killed in Helicopter Crash
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2017, 18:08
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to weigh in on this:

1) Airplanes passed through this same Mayhem-by-Air phase in the late 1920's, when crashes due to CFIT were more common than any other cause. Mandatory routes, IFR equippage and mandatory commercial IFR were the result and the accident rate plummeted.
2) Helicopter IFR procedures simply do not exist. I mean routes, approaches and departures from heliports and to heliports. Yes, we get to borrow airplane procedures, but actual helicopter IFR where the trip is done substantially on airways and to helicopter destinations is beyond our regulator's ability to understand.
3) All commercial helicopters should be IFR equipped, and able to file and fly their missions on helicopter airways and down helicopter approaches.
4) Blaming "Training" and "Pilot Error" for CFIT is a waste of time, as accurate as it is. Blame regulators who won't approve helicopter routes and approaches, operators too cheap to equip properly, and pilots who cannot see the forest for the trees.

Look at the new thread I posted for an article I wrote a decade ago about this sad and sickening problem, "Driving on the Planet Mongo"