PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bride Killed in Helicopter Crash
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2017, 08:55
Twist & Shout

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
I think all this talk of IF in various platforms is missing the point.
(I've got enough actual IMC in an unstablzed B206 to understand the challenge and possibilities. Obviously above LSALT, or on a published approach.)

IMHO, this crash possibly started the day the flight was booked.

Many years ago one thing I always used to try and instill in my students was to highlight to customers/passengers that the flight was weather dependent, right from the first planning stage. This can make it a lot easier to cancel the flight, or turn around when required.

In the above example:
Booking the flight – “Dependent on weather”
Day of the flight – “Weather is far from ideal – consider an alternative, or we can continue to assess”
Departing – “Weather is still marginal. We can ‘give it a go’, but there is a chance we will end up back here. Want to try an alternative method, or run the risk of being back here? (Still owing for some flying)”

I believe this reduces the pressure on the pilot to take risks with the weather. Much easier to make the correct decision when the time comes.

A chilling video, which might have a place in every CPL course.

The more experienced pilots turn around, while the less experienced pilots “push on”.
The most experienced pilots are drinking coffee, and wondering why anyone would take off in the current met conditions.