PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAT 1 ILS APPROACH
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2017, 22:15
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope this is classic case where people have started shouting because of a spelling mistake. "of" should have been "or". But I'm sure I still have to be shouted at because at times I think I do a different job to everyone else. I base my unworthy opinion on being unfortunate enough to have landed 10,000 times or so at airfields where the glideslope will probably take you right into the touchdown zone. Rather surprisingly I have also been trained fly visual, non-precision, CAT 1 alll the way to CAT III. I have wrongly undersood that during every instrument approach there comes a time when you have to transition from the clocks to a flare and roundout. Recklessly and obviously very dangerously whenever I have had the minimum required visual references I have continued to follow whatever references I have had available to me to follow the nominal glide to the touchdown zone. I have used a combinations of glideslope, PAPIS (if present and visible), relative movement of runway image etc. Obviously wrong. So would someone tell me what a safe professional pilot should use? Obviously I also don't understand the validity of G/S signals. I thought they were valid until at least the minimum height for the approach plus a healthy margin to allow a visual transition, if you call 50' on a CAT II approach healthy. I'm all ears and eager not to kill either my passengers or myself.