PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigerian airspace
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2017, 19:57
eckhard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Jide / jydo. Thanks for your post and for your idea to share and discuss problems.

I was based in Jos for a couple of years in the mid-70s doing aerial survey work in a Dove. We were surveying the construction of the Federal Capital District (Abuja) and landed at Kano, Kaduna and Ikeja. More recently, I have operated scheduled service in a 747 from London to Lagos and Abuja, as well as flying through the FIR on the way to Southern African destinations.

One way to improve communications would be for the ATC controllers to talk a bit slower. That way the pilot wouldn't have to ask for information to be repeated, which would ultimately save time.

A few years ago, the NOTAM information regarding serviceability of navaids and airfield lighting was not very reliable. I don't know if that situation has improved?

Anyway, I hope you get some useful feedback and that you can actually effect some changes where required.

Is there anything that we pilots could do differently that would make your working day easier?

Last edited by eckhard; 8th Jul 2017 at 08:15. Reason: Added 'a brief introduction', as requested.