PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA lease QR aircraft
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2017, 07:50
willy wombat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the best airline management books ever written is Gordon Bethune's "From Worst to First" about the turn round of Continental. In it Bethune makes an observation to the effect that you can make a pizza so cheap that no one wants to eat it. Someone should put a copy of the book on AC's desk asap. I never worked for BA per se but I worked very closely with them for many years and also ran a BA subsidiary for a period and it distresses me to see how far they have fallen. Skipness points out that they don't mention "To Fly, To Serve" any more because people would laugh. It reminds me of when, several years ago, queuing pax at LGW would laugh at the "Fast Baggage Drop" signage. BA solved that problem by removing the word "Fast" from the signage. Maybe the writing was on the wall then. And yet, last month my wife and I had to travel unexpectedly and very urgently back to the UK from Sothern Europe. The only option was to buy 2 BA Club Europe tickets. It was expensive (about 500 Euros each) but the flight and service was superb so there is still some hope. Finally, I worked in airline (very) senior management all my career. Give me BA's slot portfolio at LHR, the Brand and The Executive Club, let me pick my own senior management team and I guarantee I could make plenty profits without resorting to ultra cheap pizzas (or M and S sandwiches for that matter).