PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big aeroplane to little aeroplane
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2017, 15:45
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a very interesting thread, as teaching at the airline level I've noticed that new hires from an instructing background often have the inverse issues when upgrading - flare too low, tendency to use memory items over checklists, rustiness in IFR, have yet to fly two-crew (teaching is not two-crew), and not sure on how to manage the cockpit - tendency to overbalance the aircraft with rudder to the detriment of passenger comfort 150 feet further back would be another one.

The reason I bring this up is because anyone, adults specifically, will default to what they know when put in an unfamiliar situation. Regardless of their past experience, transitioning from a Boeing or Airbus to a small Cessna or Piper is unfamiliar, just as it is to move up in size.

What I was taught as a junior instructor, and what I passed on to assit an experienced airline "student" was to sit at the end of the runway before take-off and remind the airline pilot of where the runway sits in relation to the cockpit. This needs to be a minute or so, not twenty seconds. Don't make the first approach to a landing either. Have them take it into ground effect to see the proper flare height, then go around for a landing. You'll find the airline pilot is typically very adaptive and will appreciate being reminded of these "generalizations" before flight, rather than during. The instructor suddenly becomes a professional rather than just "some 250 hour pilot." I've been both of these.

The only addition was usually the lack of being able to fly the aircraft in balance with co-ordinated controls. Yaw damper makes for very lazy feet!
I would suggest that it is passenger comfort in a 200 foot cabin where a small rudder input upfront bashes heads at the back that makes for lazy feet. A Yaw Damper does not permit "feet off" flying, it just dampens the inputs. It's just that a small amount of uncoordinated flight may generate a better ride for the passengers than attempting to bring it into coordinated flight with a rudder near the length of a bus.