PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angle of attack indicator
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2017, 11:52
PEI_3721

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm; I have seen a two-hole ‘pitot’ as described but never understood how such a system could provide meaningful AoA. The AHRS reference suggests a flight path angle type of parameter; but the use of GPS baffles me, and thus such a system might be best avoided.
Having a full EFIS speed display and ADC, an overlay of low speed awareness based on AoA could be of greater piloting value than a separate ‘AoA’ display, but that would require a vane or other reliable (accurate) sensor.

You could consult the manufacturer and politely ask if the instrument actually measures AoA (if so how), or is it just an approximation, or even a parameter which would be better displayed upside down.

Displaying a high, red band ‘AoA’ uppermost relative to the high end of the EFIS airspeed speed tape is hazardous because a high value should relate to low speed. IMHO this would be unacceptable for a commercial certification.
I recall one GA system where vane AoA replaced a fast - slow indication on an ADI, but the display was inverted with respect to high and low speed awareness !
- Non flying engineers / salesmen with snake oil. -

Theory is all well and good, but attempting to use parameters unrelated or inaccurate for the theory usually results in headaches. (cf #5)