PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA PPLH -> FAA PPLH: 14 CFR 61.75 vs 61.56
Old 5th Jul 2017, 08:03
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rotorfan
Good Grief offered the proper explanation in answering your question.

When the FAA uses the word "rated", it does not refer to a specific type of aircraft, as "you're rated in the H-269". A rating is a class of aircraft within a category. On my Private (FAA) certificate, it shows Airplane-Single Engine Land and Rotorcraft-Helicopter. On the day when I passed my heli checkride, I was then legal to move from the R22 I trained in to a B407. Practically, it wouldn't happen because no 407 owner would loan me the ship, nor would an insurer cover me. But, the Helicopter rating authorizes it. There is also no distinction made for number of engines, unlike fixed-wing ops.
Absolutely amazing !

I was assuming the "no rating below 12500 lbs" was referring to the CFI not the (FAA) PIC.
So pepole with big pockets can legally fly any helo type they can afford, after finishing basic training, as long as they find/manage to pay for insurance.
Very american, as long as someone will pay for the damage anything goes.
And on a technical note quite praticable, I have ferried an EC120 as de facto PIC ("trainee") once, not so different from the S300C

As GG explained, type ratings don't apply until aircraft weight of 12500 pounds (or turbojet-powered in the stuck-wing world). A helicopter CFI offering flight reviews for 206 and 22, in your example, wouldn't be type-rated in those aircraft because there is no type rating. He or she could conduct your flight review in the 269. However, if the CFI has no experience in that type, they very well may decline. I would think no instructor would be willing to give a flight review in a type where they aren't comfortable with doing autos, because they have no way to know if you're going to be competent at autos, either. Insurance might have a say in the matter, too.
So as he ain't FAA type rated for a helo type below 12500 because there is no such thing in FAA land,
she'd perfectly suited to sign off my BFR should she decide so. As long as an FAA CFI has a class rating of helicopter I could do my BFR with him.

As GG said, you could do a flight review in an R22, and you would be legal to fly the 269. Of course, if you'd never flown the 22, this would be rather pointless. You wouldn't be competent after an hour or two, and it wouldn't do anything to check your competence in the 269. Because I'm fixed and rotary, I would do my flight review in an R44, and it would cover me for both operations. Part 61 just says you must accomplish a flight review in an aircraft for which you are rated. There are FAA regs that apply to legality but not necessarily safety, like the currency vs. proficiency argument.
so there is no complicated annual prof. check, rolling through ones TRs, like under EASA regime, any one single BFR does the trick for all classes one is certified.
Way less hassle under FAA rules and much cheaper,too!

Thx for explaining that in such detail, and apologies to GG for questioning his excellent, highly condensed previous explanation,
I'm certainly spolied by EASA's habit of making everything super complex.

Last edited by Reely340; 5th Jul 2017 at 12:05.