PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2017, 05:27
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Warmtoast...just reiterating what he told me but I've been trying for several years to get a file released on the attempted bombing of a Trident out of Belfast that diverted to Manchester.
The file had been closed for forty years. After several months I traced its current whereabouts and after being persistent I was accidentally sent an internal communication as to how I might get it released. A few hours late I was sent another mail which told me to destroy the previous email which I did.
Kew apparently hasn't got it but it was held by a department associated with the department of transport.
The forty year period has passed and last year I applied again to be told that they haven't held the file. So I appealed and recounted the history of our communications. That didn't work so I made a complaint to the ombudsman wrt FOI which wasn't even acknowledged.

If you are wondering why...I flew the Trident in the 70s and had a specific bomb threat as well as a couple of general ones. The Manchester flight had a viable device but management lied to us. It was a period where Balpa had to force BEA to take over our personal life insurance cover as it was negated by flying into a war zone!