PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow ATC to ban zone transits in July and August
Old 4th Jul 2017, 20:00
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear all,

Through the BMAA, Strathaven Airfield has now started what I hope will be a dialogue with Glasgow ATC to see how we can best mitigate any safety aspects of this.

I would ask three things - I can only ask, we are a small airfield in uncontrolled airspace not far outside Glasgow's zone:

The first is to remember that we are at 847ft amsl. Our circuit height is 1,000ft and so the downwind leg is at 1,847ft amsl. I know a typical Glasgow request has been, in the past, remain clear of controlled airspace and not above 2,000ft on the QNH.

THIS WILL TAKE YOU THROUGH OUR CIRCUIT!

The second is that we use Safety.com - 135.475 - as our frequency. It is for aircraft to aircraft use, so do not expect a reply from the ground. And we may have non-radio aircraft operating here. So no reply does not mean no traffic!

(as a suggestion, while the approved format is to start with the airfield name and then add message, we would suggest ending with the airfield name too - because people often don't hear the first word)

The third one is for those going through the corridor between Prestwick and Hunterston. Please keep a very very good lookout. This is obviously going to be a much busier piece of airspace than usual.

Hopefully we will all have a happy summer and Glasgow's six new recruits will settle in well.