PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA ATPL Changing Question style
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2017, 11:21
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
neboskreb
I knew almost nothing about internal combustion engines when I passed my driving test and received no formal training other than practical driving tuition but if I see an engine warning, I tend to pull over on the side of the road and call for a tow. I'm not paid to drive a car however but for flying, I am and when an annunciator illuminates, a troubleshooting process via the QRH and checklist procedure is most definitely aided by an understanding of the systems. As I said, much of the syllabus content is not specifically relevant but there is a lot of background information which sometimes becomes more valuable as you gain experience.
I think you've misunderstood my point concerning the motivation of the new entry intake; quite a few people spend a fortune on training with no real understanding of what the job, environment or lifestyle entails and in particular, no interest. Perhaps it's a generational thing but I meet people like this every day as well as those who have learnt the answers to pass the exams rather than attempted to understand the theory - in modern aviation, preparation is everything and the day you learn on the job may well be your last. Tot ziens!