PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft power for Garmin 795 GPS on Eurocopter EC120 ?
Old 4th Jul 2017, 11:00
John R81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTobias
Unfortunately I don't have one of those sockets installed in the aircraft anyway. I genuinely can't see the real problem in simply tapping off power from an existing item of avionics or something else close by.

Is it really such a problem ? I reckon it's a 5 minute job, but obviously it's not 'approved'. I won't be doing that, but what's the real issue ???

JT - sorry to be the bearer of "bad news" but, as I understand it, any fiddling with the wiring is not approved and needs a CAA-approved MOD. Permanent wiring makes the unit part of the machine. The alternative, of fitting either a power take-off or a USB is an approved MOD and hence you can do that. The unit - not being wired in - is therefore a carry on/off and does not itself have to be approved.

I had exactly this problem with the Flymap L unit:

1. Can't permanently wire it in - I have the cigarette-style power take-off
2. Can't fit the sensor for the artificial HUD / 3-D environment under the MRG centre; it works where we could have it, just not as well.
3. Cannot break into the vacuum lines to connect the altimeter on the Flymap L - so that piece of the HUD does not work.

No matter that each of the actions was "little" and well within the competency of the maintenance team, no approved MOD = No Chance.