PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA ATPL Changing Question style
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2017, 09:27
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nearly fell asleep today whilst my instructor was talking about some DC magneto carry on to do with engine ignition
A DC generator? Asked about DC generators at an interview once for a T/P job; Mach Tuck, Loran C, Omega and Transonic Shock (altimetry) were also covered. Never know when you might need that 'useless' knowledge. Interesting that those who seek to change the syllabus content have little or no experience of aviation and likely little practical understanding of the architecture that more modern technology is based on. Take Automatic Dependant Surveillance, ACARS, ECAM, EFIS, RNP/PBN and others for example - the syllabus content covers fairly simple and first generation type architecture however it serves the purpose of giving the user an understanding of the principals by which the systems operate. You are unlikely to need to know the orbital plane of a GPS or EGNOS satellite either but this is most definitely not the stuff of ancient history.

I was told that the CEO of an airline introduced himself to a group of first day First Officers a few years ago and asked how many of them were interested in aeroplanes? A few raised their hands likely imagining he was asking if they were plane spotters, to which he responded that having gone through the process of ground school, practical training and testing, they should all be interested and that if they wanted to come back for the second day of induction training, they should re-think their motivations for flying. I thought that said quite a lot about the way the industry has changed in recent years.