PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST CITY AIRPORT (BHD)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 22:03
A320.b744

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alteagod
Pointless trying to be positive on hear about BA or post any good or positve points as so many have already made there mind up. I am not permited in an open forum to discuss but shud amyone which to pm me feel free. The world is not just orange nor does it have a golden harp or does it even be purple. It is demoralizing knowing how anti everything this thread has become regarding BHD. Some of us actually work there and enjoy doing so please just give it a rest
If the figures for BHD were positive then everyone would be posting about how wonderful the airport is. However, the facts show that BHD is in decline at a time when other airports are experiencing double digit growth, so quite frankly, the negative comments are completely warranted.

If we have a quick look at Aer Lingus' sun routes from BHD, passenger numbers fell substantially compared with May 2016.

FAO - down 24%
ALC - down 58%
AGP - down 24%
PMI - down 40%

Last May Aer Lingus carried 33,194 passengers on their sun routes - this May they carried only 22,558. If BHD was a lucrative base, they wouldn't have slashed flights.

Meanwhile at BFS, passenger figures for these four routes are up between 22-100% since last May.

In the last year Aer Lingus, Flybe and now British Airways have slashed capacity from BHD - this completely bucks the trend so BHD must be doing something wrong.

The only piece of good news that I can find from the May figures is that AMS numbers are up 22% to 4,383 - that's 71 pax per flight so maybe in the mid to long term we'll see a second daily flight.

Honestly, unless BHD can attract a) several legacy carriers to offer high frequency hub connections, or b) low cost airlines to establish a base at the airport, then BHD's passenger numbers will continue to collapse.

Last edited by A320.b744; 3rd Jul 2017 at 22:21.