PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow ATC to ban zone transits in July and August
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 20:04
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xrayalpha
Closure confirmed.

Here is aletter from Glasgow ATC received this morning.

I have quite a few comments to make on this, but will refrain from posting here until I make an official reply on behalf of Strathaven Airfield.

Dear all,

At Glasgow, we have always been supportive of the need to provide the best service we can to users within and around our airspace. Although we would like that to continue the priority for ATC at Glasgow must be to provide a safe and effective service to commercial flights into or outbound from Glasgow airport, the number of which has grown steadily over the past few years.

This summer ATC at Glasgow has lost several key members of the ATC team and, although we have recruited replacements, the training required to achieve the required level of competence will take time. As a result of this we have fewer controllers than required and will not be able to open as many operational positions.

What this means to you, is that you may not get the service you are used to from Glasgow or any service at all in some instances. You can help us to help you by…

Planning to fly around the Glasgow Control Zone, squawking 2620, and listening out on 119.1Mhz , any aircraft requesting a zone transit must call ATC on 0141 840 8029 at least 30 minutes before departure , and pass details of the flight, but it is unlikely that we will be able to accommodate your request, alternatively you can contact Scottish FIR on 119.875Mhz for a Basic Service.

We understand that this will not be great news for you to read, but we believe that being open and up front about the challenges that we face will help you to plan your excursions and get the most out your aircraft.

I wish you a summer of good flying.

Regards…

Tom Kirkhope

General Manager ATS (Glasgow)

you may not get the service you are used to from Glasgow or any service at all in some instances.

I don't see a closure there. He is just saying that things will be tight, so cut them some slack. You MAY not get what you are used to. He's not suggested that they are closing the airspace to puddle jumpers!