PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones threatening commercial a/c?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 06:57
davidjpowell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UAV's such as the Gemini are really only ever going to be in the hands of enthusiasts, whom one would hope will know better....

The more commonly attributable DJI drones, the Mavic, Phantom, and the more expensive Inspire are the one's which are more accessible to the newbie, but have impressive performance for their size.

DJI and the other manufacturers are becoming more switched on. They are using GPS to disable the UAV in certain areas. Unfortunately as with most software some backdoors exist, and I believe there is some firmware circulating that circumvents the protection. The protected areas are mostly a radius around the centre of runways, rather than following any Class of airspace.

DJI will switch off the protection for people with PfCO at specific time and locations, with prior notice and proof etc.

Whether Pilots like it or not UAV Drone's are out of the box and sharing your air.

The real issue is the lack of enforcement of the regs. Currently the CAA seem to have little interest, unless it's one of the 'big' events such as this. Other people flouting the rules will not be investigated or prosecuted. There was a video recently taken by a drone of an event in Kent. The event had well over 1,000 people and no-one with normal permissions would be able to fly over the crowd legally. The chap who filmed it had no PfCO and should not even have been in the air in that location, without the crowd. He has other video's which flouts the regs.

His video was reported to the police, who gave him a warning as he was not aware of the regs.

If he had driven a car without a license would a warning be appropriate?

The regulations are not being followed, simply because they are not being enforced.

Do I believe a Drone will bring down a plane? I'm not sure. I do believe that a collision in the present system is inevitable. Will it bring down a plane? That may be down to luck - which is not acceptable.