PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light plane crash near Mt Gambier
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 03:55
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lead Balloon,
Re. your two last posts, well said, a pity your sentiments were not more commonly held beliefs, in the "rules" obsessed aviation community.

Now for my two bob's worth --- no pilot sets out to knowingly kill himself and any passengers --- and only the pilot in command knows what the actual conditions were, that prevailed at takeoff, and they can vary quickly.

This pilot believed they were withing (his) limits, otherwise he would not have gone, but, sadly, he did.

Sadly, CASA "priorities" are "enforcement" after the event, if there are survivors they can "prosecute". The FAA, and other similar authorities came to realise, years ago, that "education" before the event is the most effective at minimizing aircraft accidents, but CASA activities have always been, and more so than ever at present, are weighted towards "compliance and enforcement", with the entirely predictable results.

Angel Flight is a wonderful initiative, and there is no problem with Angel Flight, that the "answer" is more regulation or other CASA interference, but I fear for the future of the organisation, once CASA decides it has got to go.

Tootle pip!!

PS: My guess, but a guess based on long experience, is that the visual horizon, once airborne, was obscured, not as good as it seemed on the ground, and he got "the leans", you do not need to be solid IMC for that to happen.