PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lakenheath working too hard?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2003, 22:00
niknak
niknak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TM - Calling Lakenheath was the right thing to do, even though, as has been pointed out, they are not a LARS provder.
A quick call to us at Norwich on departure though, just to check the height status of D208 would have been the right thing to do, it occassionally goes from the permanant 2500ft to 7500ft without too much notice, and we always know when the changes occur.
We would have provided you with an FIS, but not not much more due to our own traffic levels, I doubt that Coltishall would have be able to proffer much more, and realistcally I don't think Wattisham would have been able to give you a service.

As for the service from Lakenheath, yes they are busy with their own aircraft - which take priority when it comes to providing a service - but their current staffing levels aren't as high as they should be, which is why it's very rare for them to reply on VHF at the weekends.
Personally, I wouldn't have expected you to orbit, just continue on your intended track using common sense and good airmanship.

My advice would be if the circumstances are repeated, to do as suggested and call Lakenheath every 5 miles or so, until you either get a service or it's obvious they can't offer you one.

I dont think an MOR would help, from an atco's viewpoint traffic levels can go from nothing to full capacity very quickly, and in that event, we use a priority system to provide the most efficiant and expeditious service according to the facilities and type of services which we are offering to other aircraft at the time.