PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dans la Merde......
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2017, 11:50
Lou Scannon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can but hope that today's Air Force still pull out the stops to help fellow servicemen, of any or no rank, when they require compassionate travel. In my day I saw many heartwarming examples where rules were bent to the general increase of loyalty to the Service by all involved.

Regarding the uplift of soil from Kenya to the certain VSO's garden in Aden: Whilst our Hastings was being loaded with the stuff by disgruntled groundcrew, I suggested that a few litres of hydraulic oil might help the mix. One NCO looked at me in horror, took me to one side and explained that they wouldn't dream of taking such action. Having spent hours collecting leather jackets to put in the soil they certainly weren't including something that might harm them!

And as to the use of H.M's machines for recreational use: Many ex Herc crews will remember G.O's private landrover. He bought an ex-army vehicle and deliberately left all the camouflage and fittings in place. When the crew went off on a jolly no one ever noticed that the Land Rover driving off the back at various RAF stations had civil number plates!