PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Danger of letting down based on NDB false overhead. B707 crash 1974
Old 2nd Jul 2017, 08:24
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
I see a number of comments containing the remark: "----- before BALI had radar".

So, now BALI has radar??

Would you actually rely on the radar for terrain clearance ---- and not just at BALI?? Do you believe ATC will not give you a clearance below LSA (by whatever name) or actively monitor you on a STAR that you might screw up??

I speak as somebody who knows the area ( and a much wider area) very well.

Tootle pip!!

PS: That was a bad year for "The World's Most Experienced Airline", they had several "experiences" that year +/-, including another B707 loss at Tahiti. Around about that era they put a B707 off the end of YSSY 34 (R now) in an abort.
PS2: PanAm B707-321 has two Bendix Doppler, with a common aerial, QF had two Marconi Doppler with a common aerial ---- they cold not be used as a position fix for a letdown, they were a DR position only. I know, I have flown them both.
PS3: To this day, there are far more "challenging" airfields than BALI. None of them are "challenging" as long as you stick to the SOPs., just some you have to work a bit harder.